Tuesday, June 7, 2011

the illness part two (three? four?)

Monday, October 11, 2010 at 7:23pm
After last Thursday's adventure in hospitial land, I spent the weekend being drugged into oblivion alternating with hacking cough and gasping whimperings, punctuated by brief moments and the occasional hour of sleep (ususally upon Mum's sofa - that spot is magical.)

Thus today, Monday, I had a follow-up appointment with the closest to a regular doctor that I have in Lake City.  One 2:15pm appointment turned into a 3 hour visit at the clinic and multiple threats of re-hospitalization.  The reasoning?  My hemoglobin is once again low - had it been below 8, I would be typing this on my iPod rather than on Mum's computer - from the confines of a local hospital whilst having blood transfusions.  It was 8.3.  Win!  Ah, but I said "multiple threats"... the doctor was rightly concerned about a phleghmy cough that insisted upon persisting through two rounds of antibiotics and therefore did a white blood cell count as well.  Ok, he did a CBC, but you get the picture.  The result?  Darned near being hospitalized and put on IV antivirals.

Yes, I'm sick.  I have to admit it and accept it and deal with it rather than ignore it.  Even if it is horribly inconvenient right now, I have to deal with it -right now- at the risk of not being around to deal with it when it's a good time for me.

What does all this mean?  Well, for the next week I will be staying home (in Wellborn) - taking a new round of antibiotics coupled with a new round of steroids and some medications to clear up the sinus congestion and relieve all the pressure, plus I'm on a very hefty iron supplement, two different inhalers and am continuing with the cough syrup.

As the majority of these meds cause drowsiness and/or other obnoxious side effects, home is the best place for me - under the watchful eye of Peter and Mum.

The outlook is not certain as yet, and those of you who really know me understand how serious that is - if even I cannot sugar coat it, or make it sound like just a passing thing - well, yeah, it's serious.

So, Friday I have to go back to the doctor to see if I'm going to be allowed to go back to school next week or if I need to make some sort of other arrangements with my professors.  I sincerely hope it does not come to that.

The good news?  It seems that I am not horribly contagious - well, except when my fever spikes, so I'm mostly safe to be around.  I'm just miserable company.

I'll work on updating as I can and as things change and as I learn more.  Meanwhile, I will not ask for any positive thoughts or prayers for myself, but please, please, keep Peter and Mum in your thoughts - because I know I'm pretty much hell to be around right now and they're going to need all the help they can get.

No comments: