January 7, 2011 at 10:30pm
This will be brief as I just hit the button for my demerol and I won't be coherent for long.
Long story short - I had surgery this morning, but nothing was removed. When the doctor got me opened up, she found that my past 2 abdominal surgeries have left massive adhesions. Rather than risk nicking a bowel or something worse, she sewed me back up. I could go to UF and have the procedure done, but, as the doctor put it this evening, no one in their right mind would want to risk all the danger inherent in clearing out the scar tissue. She informed us that basically my entire intestinal tract is stuck to the inside of my abdomen. Her recommendation is ablation. She does understand my issues with that procedure, but it is really the only option available to us.
So after saying that, she tells me about a new medication. We have made the tentative decision to start the medication and see how it goes while I heal from this morning's slice-and-dice. If the medication works, great. If not, then I will have the ablation. We are not, however, going to attempt the hysterectomy again.
And that's where we stand.