Monday, September 5, 2011

aware of the awareness

One of my friends posted this status earlier today:  "Can I make a request? Is anyone willing to post this and leave it on your status for 1 hour? It is Special Education week & Autism & ADHD Awareness month, and this is in honor of all children who struggle every day. Lets see how many of you do it."

Hmm.  Now, being all too familiar with ADHD, I know that September is, in fact, ADHD Awareness month. However, being a good friend of several Autistic persons, I know that Autism Awareness month is actually in April.  Odd that they would be combined.  But what about Special Education week?  When is that?  

A somewhat exhaustive web search revealed that there is no such thing as "Special Education week."  


All of the above researched facts contribute to the growing mountain of support for my "I don't care what it's for, I'm not reposting that status" attitude.  I like kittens and puppies and children.  I volunteer with the elderly and veterans.  That doesn't mean I have to post my support.  


While we're at it... I'm not posting the color of my brassiere, where I place my purse or converting my birth month and day into baby-on-the-way lingo.  It doesn't help spread awareness of breast cancer.  I'm pretty sure everyone is already aware of breast cancer.  

How about we post things like "I just donated $20 to breast cancer research, will you match it?"  or "Logged 5 hours volunteering today, how about you?"


Back to awareness months/weeks/days...  if you're curious about what we're supposed to be aware of during September, here's the list:


Childhood Cancer Awareness Month
Fruit and Veggies - More Matters Month
Healthy Aging® Month
Leukemia & Lymphoma Awareness Month
National Alcohol and Drug Addiction Recovery Month
National Atrial Fibrillation Awareness Month
National Cholesterol Education Month
National ITP Awareness Month
National Pediculosis Prevention Month/Head Lice Prevention Month
National Sickle Cell Month
National Yoga Awareness Month
Newborn Screening Awareness Month
Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month
Prostate Cancer Awareness Month
Whole Grains Month

And then there are specific days and weeks:

13th - National Celiac Disease Awareness Day

15th - National School Backpack Awareness Day (Although why we have to be aware of backpacks is beyond me. Perhaps they are planning to overthrow the education system.)

18 - 24
National Farm Safety & Health Week
National Rehabilitation Awareness Celebration

18th - National HIV/AIDS and Aging Awareness Day

19th - Get Ready Day (It didn't say for what we are readying ourselves.)

21st - World Alzheimer's Day

22nd - Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN) Day

24th - Family Health & Fitness Day USA

27th - National Gay Men's HIV/AIDS Awareness Day

28th - National Women's Health & Fitness Day
World Rabies Day

30th - Sport Purple For Platelets Day
World Heart Day



And if that isn't enough, feel free to celebrate the birthdays of my lovely Sister-in-law (22nd) and awesome husband (24th).


Awareness data for this month, and all the rest of them, can be found at this nifty location: Awareness Data List.

I'm still not changing my status.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm a bit over that, too. Backpack awareness day = Spine health awareness ? Ill fitting back packs loaded too heavily hurt, esp when they are just worn over one shoulder, causing the wearer to lean to balance the load. Been there, done that and I know I should really get a wheelie-case for that laptop and files I lug home onthe weekend.

--
Oh, I want an annoying question awareness day! Housemates need not ask what I am doing, (reading/typing on a blog, duh!) and ask what it is abt when they can just read over my shoulder and figure it out themselves!
<3 Chris